The 40 Days 40 FinTechs Initiative is an annual FinTech Innovation program presented by HiPipo as part of our Include Everyone program. This initiative celebrates and recognizes individuals and organizations who are making significant strides in promoting financial inclusivity through the use of technology. By shining a spotlight on these innovators, we aim to inspire others and create a ripple effect towards the creation and dissemination of technology that enables financial inclusivity. Through generous support from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and proud partnerships with Crosslake Technologies, INFITX, Cyberplc Academy and the Mojaloop Foundation, the 40 Days 40 FinTechs Initiative is dedicated to leading the way in advocacy for a more inclusive financial ecosystem in Africa and beyond.
- Background: “40 Days 40 FinTechs” is an initiative aimed at promoting innovation and collaboration among FinTechs in Africa. The program is designed to provide FinTechs and startups with mentorship, training, exposure, and networking opportunities to help them grow and scale their businesses.
- Objective: The primary objective of the program is to support and showcase innovative FinTech giants and startups from across Africa, with a focus on promoting financial inclusion and economic growth. Through the program, startups are given access to the resources they need to develop new and innovative financial solutions that can benefit underserved populations. The resources include but are not limited to Level One Project guides, Inclusive finance, etc.
- Participants: The program attracts FinTech innovators from across Africa, with a particular focus on those from Uganda. However, the program has also featured startups from other African countries, including Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Rwanda, and South Africa. The program has also received support from a wide range of industry players, including major financial institutions, telecom companies, and technology providers.
- Activities: The program consists of a series of activities, including pitch sessions, mentorship and training sessions, networking events, and exposure opportunities. During the program, startups have the opportunity to pitch their ideas to potential investors and partners, receive mentorship and training from industry experts, and connect with other startups and industry players.
- Impact: The program has had a significant impact on the African FinTech ecosystem, promoting innovation, collaboration, and financial inclusion. Many startups that have participated in the program have gone on to receive funding and support, and have successfully scaled their businesses. The program has also helped to create a more supportive environment for FinTech innovation in Africa, with more investors and industry players recognizing the importance of supporting FinTech innovators and startups. Furthermore, the program has significantly enhanced the visibility of digital financial services, digital innovation, and financial technology (FinTech) innovation across the African continent.
- Funding: The program has received generous support from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. With great partnerships from Mojaloop Foundation, INFITX, Crosslake Technologies, Cyberplc Academy plus financial institutions, telecom companies, and technology providers. Funding is used to support the program’s activities and provide resources to participants.
- Purpose: One of the key goals of the “40 Days 40 FinTechs” initiative is to promote financial inclusion in Africa, particularly among low-income users who may not have access to traditional financial services. The program aims to achieve this by supporting FinTech startups that are developing innovative financial solutions that can reach and benefit underserved populations.
- Approach: The program takes a deliberate approach to promote gender equality in the FinTech industry. This includes actively encouraging the participation of women-led startups in the program, as well as promoting the representation of women in leadership positions in the FinTech sector. By doing so, the program aims to promote greater diversity and inclusion in the industry, and to ensure that the benefits of FinTech innovation are shared equitably across all segments of society.
40 Days 40 FinTechs is an important initiative that is driving FinTech innovation and promoting financial inclusion in Africa. It is a program that has attracted significant support from a wide range of industry players, and has had a tangible impact on the African FinTech ecosystem.
40 Days 40 FinTechs Season four Registration Underway. Click here for details.
We are pleased to announce that registration for the fourth edition of 40 Days 40 FinTechs is now underway. This initiative has rapidly grown to become one of the premier showcase events for digital economy innovations worldwide. This success can be attributed to the inspiration and collaboration generated by our partners, Level One Project, Mojaloop Foundation, INFITX, Cyberplc Academy, and Crosslake Technologies. Most importantly, the initiative owes its continued success to the generous support of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Organized under HiPipo’s Include Everyone program, which encompasses various other initiatives such as the FinTech Landscape Exhibition, Women in FinTech Hackathon, Summit & Incubator, Digital and Financial Inclusion Summit, and Digital Impact Awards Africa, the 40 Days 40 FinTechs platform provides a platform for stakeholders involved in digital and financial technology to exhibit their products and services and share their ideas on how to bring more unserved and underserved people into the financial system.
The 40 Days 40 FinTechs initiative offers participants useful tools and an introduction to the industry’s emerging technologies, such as the Mojaloop Open Source Software, and guidance from Level One Project foundational material. Participants gain skills covering Level One Project Principles, Instant and Inclusive Payment Systems (IIPS), Inclusive Finance, and FinTech in general.
The initiative lives up to its name by delivering over two months of exhibition, dialogue, and discussion, which is unprecedented in the sector. The initiative generates enormous publicity, demand, and pull for instant and inclusive real-time retail payment systems. Lastly, it draws the most attention yet to what is undeniably the future of digital financial services – interoperability.
Innocent Kawooya, CEO, HiPipo.
Despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the first, second, and third seasons of HiPipo’s 40 Days 40 FinTechs initiative in 2020, 2021, and 2022 respectively set the bar even higher. Over 100 FinTechs have been profiled to date, and our 2022 campaign generated visibility estimated at roughly $9.1 million.
We are confident that our work will be sustainable given our holistic, inclusive, multi-stakeholder, and low-income user-focused strategy. In 2022, women’s participation was three times more than in season one. We are proud of our success so far and look forward to showcasing more groundbreaking innovations in the future. To register, please click here for details.
The forth season of the 40 Days 40 FinTechs Initiative kicks off on 20th April 2023. Click here for details.
|2023 HiPipo, Include Everyone Program Scope.|
|40 Days 40 FinTechs||20th April to 16th June 2023|
|FinTech Landscape Exhibition||7th July to 8th July 2023|
|Women In FinTech Hackathon||10th to 18th August 2023|
|Women In FinTech Summit||19th August 2023|
|Women In FinTech Incubator||4th September to 8th December 2023|
|Digital and Financial Inclusion Summit||16th November 2023|
|Digital Impact Awards Africa||17th November 2023|
|Release of report & close 2023 activities||15th January 2024|